My Top 5 Skincare Must Haves
- Cleanser – Cleansers are a must in comparison to soap. Soaps to me are a big NO! Soap breaks down protective barrier on your skin and strips skin of natural oils needed, giving your skin a more raw-dry feeling. I struggled for years as to why my skin always felt so dry after a nice wash, and always rushed to put lotion on my face (talk about a major pet peeve). Cleansers are life, they lifts dirt and makeup up and out your pores, and off your skin while moisturizing. It’s similar to the conditioning/co-washing versus shampooing concept if you’re a naturalista, except of course conditioning doesn’t necessarily get dirt out. Needless, on a daily basis, you’ll find me with a cleanser. If I need a good wash, lets say after the gym, I definitely use something more aggressive.
- CeraVe – budget friendly and gets the job done. Dermatologist tested and recommended. A step up from Cetaphil if you’ve ever heard of it.
- Murad – not so budget friendly but I’ve heard others swear by it. I’ve tested before and it worked well. Plus it contains 2% salicylic acid for those with more acne prone skin).
- Facial Scrub – This is a skincare must for me. Especially those I can feel working or that wake me up and leave my skin feeling cool and refreshed. You don’t want anything with scrubs that are too large and abrassive. There’s a difference between body and facial scrubs. Some scrubs come with or without salicylic acid. It depends on your skin type and what works best for you. Don’t forget, skincare is not just about your face. Skin is the largest organ system of your body, so it’s crucial to take care and scrub your body when showering also. My preference when it comes to my body is to wash with a scrub on the daily to remove all dead skin cells and keep skin glowing and full of life. I also love scrubs that have smells I enjoy to help my shower experience be that much greater and rejuvenating.
- Clean & Clear Deep Action Exfoliating Scrub– My go-to buy. I love the tingling sensation when I let it sit on my face. It lets me know that the product is working. No, no salicylic acid here. I use this daily.
- Olay Fresh Effects Clear Skin – Discovered this on the clearance rack in Ulta. It reminded me of St. Ives apricot scrub by it’s packaging and color scheme. Purchased since I was running out of my go-to scrub. For sure, the scrub beads are tiny and work perfectly for face. Less abrasive than St. Ive’s apricot scrub. I love the scent of this much better also (citrus & mint). The product works immediately and efficiently. By the way, I don’t have acne prone skin but for the record, I breakout every now and then, just from stress, so I like this tube around to help prevent, and just in case.
- Neutrogena Body Wash – the one in the pink bottle (grapefruit) is my fave. I have body breakouts especially on my chest no matter what I do, and because this contains salicylic acid, it helps without me even having to think about it. Discovered this gem weeks ago and it’s fabulous.
- Face Mask – I love to multitask, so often I’m at my desk working, with my face covered in a mask of some sort. It’s never a good time to Skype, Facetime, Facebook Live or Snap Video me because I’m in my zone throughout those 15-30 minutes, and 9/10 times I’m listening to music. Face masks are a great investment no matter the cost because they help replenish skin with nutrients specific to your skin’s needs. Masks to me are for healing and repairing my skin, therefore considering I’m an artist and constantly beat, I make sure to do these on weekly basis.
- Peter Thomas Roth – I live for gold and their 24 k gold mask is my weekly go to. Whenever I’m done using it, my skin is guaranteed firm and supple to the tough just how I like it.
- Boscia Luminizing Black Mask – It’s charcoal based. Charcoal works as a magnet which helps detox skin and impurities. It’s a drying and peel-off mask that works wonders for those with black/white heads and oil prone skin. I love to apply this to my T-zone area, coving the center of my forehead, over my nose, and a bit under-eye towards apple of my cheek. It definitely minimized pores while pulling out dirt to smooth texture.
- Moisturizer – This is where you find the fountain of youth. You’ve heard the saying “black don’t crack” right? Well, moisturizers are exactly why.
- Embryollise Lait Creme Concentre – Embryollise is bae. It’s French based. It is the holy grain of all skin moisturizers in all professional makeup artist’s kit. It’s now available at Target, so go on and shop!
- Mario Badescu – Mario Badescu is the skincare king. The entire collection is worth every cent, that is why I trust when I’m on the go, to refresh my face with the “Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs and Rosewater.” It has yet to fail me. Plus, not only does it small amazing, it’s hydrating, non-greasy, and is safe, budget friendly and safe to use on hair!
- Nivea Body Lotion – Nothing more to say than that I love it’s smell, I love the consistency, and I love how it applies and how it makes my skin look and feel after application. This lotion has yet to fail me. It’s made with love, and you can tell because it will last all day, unlike the cheaply made lotions, that apply thin. I use this lotion throughout all four seasons (spring, summer, fall and winter).
- Shea Butter or Coconut Oil – Every black girls secret! Great for everything and then some. The purer, the better. These can be used all over… hair, face, & body. Don’t forget a little can go a long way. You don’t need a ton for a natural glow, otherwise you look like a huge grease ball. Skincare is not just about your face.
- Makeup Wipes/Remover – Regardless if you wear makeup on the daily, this is a must. You’ll be surprised after a days work to see how much dirt is found on your skin. I always wipe away impurities before I dive into my full on skincare regimen.
- Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes – the best makeup wipes across the board, period, therefore you can’t go wrong buying a pack or two. These wipes are gentle on the skin, so they work for everyone!
- Garnier SkinActive Micellar Cleansing Water – This stuff is everything. Hard to explain, you just have to get your hands on a bottle
My Facial Skincare Routine is as follows…
Morning: Cleanse & Moisturize, sometimes I mix my cleanser & scrub and let sit on my face for 1-3 minutes as I brush my teeth.
Night: Makeup Wipes, Scrub x Cleanse, Moisturize
I pick ONE day as my spa / face day: Wipes, Scrub x Cleanse, Mask, Rinse, & Moisturize.
Hope you enjoyed my post on my top 5 must haves for skincare. If you have any more questions or comments, be sure to leave them below. Be sure to check me out on other social platforms including Instagram, Snapchat(StineALaMode), Pinterest, Facebook, and YouTube! See you next time! xo.